SEO & WHY?
One of the most popular engagements these days is building keyword search traffic to our clients’ websites. The process is known as SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and for many clients it begins with a simple question: WHY don’t we come up on the first page of Google, Bing and Yahoo searches?
The question is as easily asked as the answer is elusive. As importantly, there are a plethora of companies out there trying to get your SEO business. They’re the ones that email you out of the blue … tell you they checked your website … your search results aren’t what they could be … and how their company is helping thousands of companies like yours do better.
The truth is: it’s easy to experience disappointing results with many of these companies. A word to the wise: caveat emptor (buyer beware).
Here are some simple truths about SEO and you’re always welcome to contact me for additional insights.
- SEO is not a light switch. If you have a website, it’s always being tracked whether you want it to be or not. Beware of companies promising overnight results.
- No one person on the planet has all the answers to successful SEO integration. Not even at Google, Yahoo and Bing. If they did, we’d all know it and everyone would rank #1 on every search.
- There are many factors contributing to keyword search results. The “big data” algorithms generating the results are changing all the time, sometimes to ensure results aren’t artificially “jacked” by some company that’s helped thousands of companies like yours—before the algorithms changed.
- Your results will vary from my results. Think about it this way: Google, Yahoo and Bing are in the business of providing relevant content. Stuff you will like. Stuff you will click, which is where they make money. The browser history stored in your computer, tablet and mobile phone is used by Google, Yahoo and Bing to refine the search results you see. Ever wonder why ads follow you around the Internet?
- SEO is a process and a journey—versus a destination. Generating better search results means working on it all the time.
Are there known best practices for SEO? You bet! But there are no organic silver bullets short of getting lucky or going viral.
Contact Us Today
Your Messaging: Trick or Treat?
With more than 300 annual trick or treaters in our neighborhood, Halloween reminds me about the power of brand, market, positioning, messaging.
SEO & WHY?
For many clients it begins with a simple question: WHY don’t we come up on the first page of Google, Bing and Yahoo searches?
Clients often ask about the value of adding or maintaining eNewsletters as part of their eMarketing social media mix. Here’s what I advise.